The Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8) provides low-income families, elderly and disabled individuals an opportunity to afford quality housing in the private rental market. The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) provides monthly rental assistance payments to private landlords on behalf of low-income households who have been determined eligible by the Housing Authority.
- Households earning less than 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI) will income-qualify for the HCV program.
- Participants pay 30% of their gross adjusted income for rent, directly to their landlord, and the Housing Authority pays the balance of the rent to the landlord.
- The PCHA administers 883 Housing Choice Vouchers.
To qualify for assistance, Housing Choice Voucher applicants must qualify as a current Provo resident, as well as qualify as a family, elderly, or disabled household. Single individuals who do not qualify as elderly or disabled will not advance on the waiting list. Non-Provo residents will not advance on the waiting list.
When a participant reaches the top of the waiting list they will be required to provide:
- Verification of current Provo residency (a utility bill, or rent receipt showing current address);
- Household member verifications, which include but are not limited to:
- Birth certificates for all members of the household;
- Social Security Cards for all members of the household;
- Government issued photo identification for adult members of the household;
- Third party income verifications from all sources of income for the household.
After an orientation, participants must find an affordable, decent, safe, and sanitary rental unit within the Provo city limits.